The National Traction Engine Trust

Further to my letter 22/01/2010 to Robert Goodwill M.P. who is also a Patron of the Trust put down a Parliamentary Question as follows.

Transport: Written answers and statements, 2 February 2010

Robert Goodwill (Scarborough & Whitby, Conservative)

To ask the Minister of State, Department for Transport what category of driving licence will be needed to drive a steam engine or steam lorry on the public highway when EU Directive 2006/126/EC comes into force in 2013

Paul Clark (Gillingham, Labour)

The new directive will come into force on the 19 January 2013. Those drivers who already hold a full car licence (category B) on that date will retain the right to drive a steam engine or steam lorry.

Drivers who pass a motor car test after that date will need to pass a further test in either a category c vehicle (over 3.5 tonnes ) or category G (road roller ) before they can drive a steam engine or steam lorry

The Department for Transport is currently in discussion with the commission about the possibility of an exemption from the requirement being offered additional groups of drivers.

Robert Goodwill M.P. will follow progress on our behalf.

Robert Herring, Chairman

09 Feb 2010