The National Traction Engine Trust

The photograph shows Sirapite, the Garrett works shunting engine. It is part traction engine and part railway locomotive and  was built in 1906 by Aveling & Porter for Gypsum Mines Ltd. at Mountfield in Sussex. Its name comes from the product similar to plaster of paris which was made by the company, Sirapite being obviously a more suitable name than Parisite.

The shunting engine was brought to Leiston in 1929 a and used to convey goods and materials along standard gauge railway track from the town site to the top site and Leiston railway station.

When the works were visited just before the shunting engine was retired in 1962, the staff referred to it affectionally as Old Jumbo.

19 Jul 2012